2013 Domestic Violence Awareness Month
Updated October 22, 2013
If you have an event planned for Domestic Violence Awareness Month and would like to see it listed here, please email us your event details at firstname.lastname@example.org, including date, time, location, name of organization organizing the event, name of organization receiving proceeds from the event (if applicable), and information on how to RSVP (if applicable).
- Atlanta - Caminar Latino’s 4th Annual Gracias Party. Park Tavern 500 10th Street N.E., Atlanta, GA. For more information, click here.
- Dalton – Walk a Mile in Her Shoes. Dalton Green. Registration 3:30 pm. For more information, call 706-278-6595. Proceeds benefit the Northwest Georgia Family Crisis Center.
- Lithonia - Stone Mountain-Lithonia Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. hosts a vigil to stop domestic violence at Stonecrest Mall (Atrium, near the food court), 6:00 – 8:00 pm.
- Peachtree City – 5 K “Run from Domestic Violence” Run/Walk. Drake Field, 155 Willow Bend Rd, Peachtree City, GA. 6:00 pm.
- Atlanta - Spreading Our Wings Annual Candle Light Vigil. 7pm – 8:30pm. Nelson Mullins 201 17th Street NW, 18th Floor Atlanta, GA 30363. Free Parking at Atlantic Station. Featuring inspirational domestic violence survivor stories and a live performance. Click here for flyer with additional information.
- Canton - Cherokee Family Violence Center 2013 Candlelight Vigil. Downtown Canton’s gazebo, 100 North Street, Canton, GA. 6:30 – 8:30 pm. For more information, click here.
- Columbus – Hope Harbour sponsors a walk and vigil to honor victims and survivors of domestic violence. Registration begins at 5:30 PM at Country’s on Broadway and the walk begins at 6:00 PM. The Annual Candlelight Vigil will immediately follow the walk. The vigil will be at the Woodruff Park Theatre (Bay Ave. and W. 10th Street) For more information, click here.
- Rome – 6th Annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes. Rotary Plaza (between the Forum and the Courthouse). Downtown, Rome. Registration will be from 11am – Noon. Pre-register online at www.hospitality-house.org . Like and share the event on Facebook. PLEASE walk in this event and invite others!! Men, women, children, and pets are invited. You don’t have to wear girls’ shoes! And—it’s FREE!) The Walk is a powerful statement and a great way to get the word out about Domestic Violence.
- Cornelia – Circle of Hope hosts the Walk-A-Mile in Her Shoes event. Registration begins at 9:00 a.m. and the walk will start at 10:00 a.m. from the Presbyterian Church and ending at the historic train depot. Admission is free and open to the public. For more information, click here.
- Peachtree City - Silent No More Candlelight Vigil presented by the Griffin Judicial Circuit Task force on Domestic Violence. Old Courthouse Lawn 140 Stonewall Ave, Fayetteville, GA. 5:00 – 6:30 pm
- Atlanta - The Call to True Beauty, Clark Atlanta University’s annual campaign against dating and domestic violence. October 13- 18. For more information, call 404-880-8337
- Irwin County - Ruth’s Cottage hosts a candlelight vigil at 5:30 p.m. at the Irwin County Courthouse.
- Rome - Annual Candlelight Vigil. Rotary Plaza (between the Forum and the Courthouse). Downtown, Rome. Refreshments at 6:30pm, Program at 7:00pm. Keynote Speaker from Ahimsa House will talk about protecting the pets of DV survivors and the names of those who lost their lives due to DV during the current year will be read. The vigil is a way to raise awareness, to remember those who have died, to support those who still suffer, and to celebrate those who survive.
- Tift County – Ruth’s Cottage hosts a candlelight vigil at 5:30 pm at the Tift County Courthouse.
- Macon - The Crisis Line and Safe House of Central Georgia hosts the Family Violence Annual Conference. Conference sessions will include presentations on a variety of topics including effective investigation of domestic violence cases, the link between animal abuse and domestic violence, technology and domestic violence, and civil legal remedies for victims of domestic violence. Speakers for these sessions will come from around the State of Georgia to share their expertise. For more information, click here.
- Turner County – Ruth’s Cottage hosts a candlelight vigil at 5:30 pm at the Turner County Courthouse.
- Decatur - The Women’s Resource Center to End Domestic Violence hosts the 22nd Annual Candlelight Vigil. This event honors those lost, celebrates those who have survived, and asks our community to renew their dedication to ending violence against women. Click here for more information.
- Worth County – Ruth’s Cottage hosts a candlelight vigil at 5:30 p.m. at the Worth County Courthouse.
- Stockbridge – The 1st Annual Golf Classic hosted by the Beverly Cunningham Outreach Center. For more information, click here.
- Riverdale - 3rd Annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes. Riverdale Town Center, 7200 Church Street, Riverdale, GA. 8:00 am – 1:00 pm. Contact Sisters Empowerment for more information.
- Canton - A Break at Midnight. The Canton Theatre, 171 East Main Street, Canton, GA. 4pm. Free admission.
A Break at Midnight is an original stage play, written by Pastor Gregory Hughes, that explores various types of abuse. It chronicles a family’s struggle with hidden secrets and indiscretions that manifest in the form of violence. This production brings a message of hope, liberty, forgiveness and redemption. For more information, contact True Life Ministries.
- Riverdale - The Faces & Shades of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault In the Faith Community Luncheon. 11:30am – 1:30 pm. City of Riverdale Government Annex, 6690 Church Street, Riverdale, GA 30274. Sponsored by Sisters Empowerment Network, Inc. and Southern Crescent Sexual Assault and Child Advocacy Center, this luncheon will promote training for church leaders and laypeople on how to effectively respond to issues relating to domestic violence and sexual assault.
- Decatur - Join Sherry Boston, DeKalb county Solicitor-General at the 3rd Annual Community Resource Fair and Symposium on Building Bridges, Making Connections: Coordinating a Community Response to Domestic Violence. 8:00 am – 12:30 pm. Manuel Maloof Auditorium, 1300 Commerce Drive, Decatur, GA. For more information, click here.
- Norcross - The Georgia Latin@s Against Domestic Violence host the “Walking Among Us – Now and Forever” event at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, 2140 Beaver Ruin Road, Norcross, Georgia. GLADV is a program of Renovacion Conyugal created to help serve the Latino Community by providing support for the domestic violence service providers and the incident survivor. Renovación Conyugal is committed to strengthen, revitalize, and equip Latino families through educational workshops and support groups that teach improved communication skills and relational commitment, empowering participants to thrive and enjoy a healthy family environment. For more information, click here.
- Tifton - Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, the International Men’s March to Stop Rape and Sexual Assault held at the Tifton Harley-Davidson. Registration begins at 5:30 and the walk begins at 6:00 pm. Registration forms are available at Tifton Harley-Davidson and Ruth’s Cottage.
- Tifton - High Heels High Times, the High Fashion Shoe Auction and Shoe Fashion Show For The Ladies will be held at the Tifton’s Hilton Garden Inn at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 and are available at the Hilton Garden Inn and Ruth’s Cottage.
- Winder - Barrow county vigil. Winder Picnic Pavilion, 113 East Athens St., Winder, GA 30680. 7:00 pm. For more information, click here.
- Dalton – The 7th Annual Domestic Violence Conference hosted by the Conasuaga Family Violence Alliance and the Dalton State College Department of Social Work, Shaw Industries, Northwest Georgia Family Crisis Center, McGuffey Elder Law Practice, Georgia Commission on Family Violence, NWGA Area Agency on Aging/Georgia Cares, and the Georgia Commission Against Domestic Violence. For more information, click here.
- Atlanta – “But I Love Him” Many Faces of Domestic Violence, a play presented by W.O.W.W./W.I.T.N.E.S.S. ministries. 7:00 pm, Midtown Church, 426 DEERING ROAD, ATLANTA, GA. 30309. For more information, contact 770 899-7424. Free Admission.
- Atlanta – “Rejoice in Renewal” An evening of Spoken Word, Stories and Entertainment hosted by Sister Healing Circle and MusicLifeSocial and Sponsored by Seven Arts Center. 5:30 pm – 8:00 pm. Kat’s Cafe 970 Piedmont Ave, NE, Atlanta, GA. Free admission. RSVP @meetup.com/sisterhealingcircle For more information, click here.
- Conyers - Know Your Rights “Teen Domestic Violence – It Starts Long Before the 1st Date” event. 10:00am – 1:00 pm. Springfiled Baptist Church Activity Center, 1877 Iris Drive SE, Conyers, GA.
- Lithonia – S.H.E IS POWERFUL! INCORPORATED is pleased to invite the public to its Domestic Violence Impact Day 5K Walk in honor of survivors. A prayer vigil will be held for those whose lives were ended due to violence. The Walk will take place at ARABIA MOUNTAIN PARK, LITHONIA, GA, beginning at 9 AM. $10 Suggested donation per walker. Funds benefit the organization’s Domestic Violence Education Programs.
domesticviolenceimpactday.eventbrite.com, 404.789.5521 www.sheispowerful.com.
- Peachtree City - Gospel Community Church 3rd Annual Yard Sale. 350 North Jeff Davis, Fayetteville, GA. 8:00 am. Proceeds benefit Promise Place.
- Tifton – “Lord, Why Me” play written by T.Y. Martin is an unforgettable production dealing with domestic violence and one woman’s struggle to overcome it. Presentation is at the Tift Theater in downtown Tifton at 6:00 pm. Advance tickets are $20/$15 for students. Door ticket prices are $25/$20 for students. Tickets can be purchased at Ruth’s Cottage, Beulah Hill Baptist Church, Leroy Rogers Center, North Baptist Church, the Ritz, First Monumental Church, Law Office of Maurice L. King, Law Offices of Robert M. Clyatt and Newton Grove Baptist Church.
- Stockbridge- HerStory Domestic abuse and the church. Merle Manders Conference Center 111 Davis Street, Stockbridge, GA 9:30am – 3:30 pm. For more information, contact Healing the Hurt
- Atlanta – A Healing Affair Children’s Benefit and Fashion Affair presented at the Georgia International Convention Center. For more information, click here.
- Atlanta – “Stop the Silence” Jewish Women’s Community Event. 6:30 pm. The Greenfield Hebrew Academy’s Performing Arts Center, 5200 Northland Drive, Atlanta, Ga. 30342. For more information, click here.