October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month
Updated October 9, 2012
If you have an event planned for Domestic Violence Awareness Month and would like to see it listed here, please send event details, including date, time, location, name of organization organizing the event, name of organization receiving proceeds from the event (if applicable), and information on how to RSVP (if applicable) to Allison Smith at email@example.com.
- Peachtree City – Annual 5K “Run from Domestic Violence” at City Hall.v Registration begins 5:00 p.m., race begins 6:00 p.m. Register on site or at http://www.promiseplace.org/race.htm. All funds raised go to Promise Place Domestic Violence Shelter.
October 1st through October 31st
- Savannah – Walk In Their Shoes exhibit at Oglethorpe Mall
- Rome - Local domestic violence program Hospitality House will serve as guest speaker on local radio show “Talk of the Town with Nelle Reagan,” AM 1470 WRGA. Tune in at 9:00 a.m.
- Rome - Clothesline Project, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Georgia Council for the Hearing Impaired, 336 Broad Street, Suite 201. Bring your own t-shirt to design as part of this display to honor those who have been impacted by domestic violence.
- Savannah – Ribbon Tying Ceremony, Forsyth Park. To mark the commencement of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, SAFE Shelter will tie purple ribbons around the perimeter trees in Savannah’s historic Forsyth Park.
- Rome - Annual Candlelight Vigil, Rotary Plaza (between the Forum and the courthouse, downtown Rome. Refreshments at 6:30 p.m., program at 7:00 p.m.
- Winder – 12th Annual Candlelight Vigil, Old Barrow County Courthouse. The vigil will commence with a brief introduction of the Awareness Art Exhibit at the Old Barrow County Courthouse from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., followed by a march to the Winder Pavilion for the official candlelight ceremony from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. to honor those who have lost their lives to domestic violence.
October 2nd through October 31st
- Winder – Artwork display and sale, Old Barrow County Courthouse. Begins with opening reception on Oct. 2 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., immediately preceding candlelight vigil at 7:30 p.m. Ten percent of artwork sales goes to benefit Peace Place, Inc.
- Athens - Opening reception for ”Through an Open Window 2012: Looking at Art Influenced by Domestic Violence,” 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., ARTini’s, 296 West Broad Street, #3. Almost 100 paintings expressing the participant’s views of domestic violence will be revealed at the reception. The paintings will remain on display for the entire month of October for Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Presented by Project Safe and the Domestic Violence Task Force of Athens Clarke and Oconee Counties. For more information, visit https://www.facebook.com/events/283764168399755/
- Brunswick – “High Heels, High Hopes” Fashion Show, 6:00 p.m., Art Downtown, 1413 Newcastle Street. Admission $10. Proceeds benefit Glynn Community Crisis Center.
- Hiram – Candlelight vigil, 7:00 p.m., Ben Hill Strickland Sr. Memorial Park (corner of Hwy. 92 and Oak Street). For more information, call 770-443-5213, http://www.shepherdsrestministries.com/images/Candlelight_Vigil_Flyer_Oct2012_3_.pdf
- Lithonia - Annual Candlelight Vigil, 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., The Mall at Stonecrest. Sponsored by the Stone Mountain-Lithonia Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- Thomasville – 12th Annual Kick-Off Rally for Domestic Violence Awareness Month, 11:30 a.m., St. Thomas Episcopal Church, Parish Hall. Sponsored by Halcyon Home for Battered Women.
- Columbus - “Silence Hides Violence: A Walk in Honor of Victims and Survivors of Domestic Violence,” followed by annual candlelight vigil. Registration at 5:30 p.m., walk begins at 6:00 p.m. Starting point for walk is Country’s BBQ, 1329 Broadway. Candlelight vigil held at Woodruff Park Theatre, Bay Ave. and W 10th St. Please park at Woodruff Park to be shuttled to Country’s BBQ. For more information, call 706-256-0237, ext. 114.
- Gainesville – 8th Annual Domestic Violence Breakfast and Briefing, 8:00 to 9:00 a.m., Gainesville Public Safety Building, 701 Queen City Parkway. Sponsored by the Hall County Domestic Violence Task Force and Gateway Domestic Violence Center. Event is free and open to the public. http://www.gatewaydvcenter.org/zonedisplay.asp?ZoneID=45
- National Health Cares About Domestic Violence Day. Partnerships with local women’s healthcare offices to distribute info about the effect of domestic violence on women’s health. For information to share in your doctor’s office, go to http://www.futureswithoutviolence.org/content/action_center/detail/1130
- Atlanta – Domestic Violence in the Workplace 2012 Conference, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., The Home Depot Corporate Headquarters. Presented by Partnership Against Domestic Violence. For more information or to register, visit http://padv.org/2012-domestic-violence-in-the-workplace/
- Rome - Lunch & Learn: The Effect of Domestic Violence on Women’s Health, 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m., Georgia Highlands School of Nursing, Rome Campus Annex. Pizza, salad, drinks, and volunteer hours available.
- Calhoun – Golf tournament, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Calhoun Elks Lodge, 143 Craigtown Road Northeast. Proceeds benefit Tranquility House. For more information, call 770-386-8093.
- Decatur - 2nd Annual Community Resource Fair and Symposium, “Building Bridges, Making Connections: Coordinating a Community Response to Domestic Violence,” 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Manuel Maloof Auditorium, 1300 Commerce Drive, downtown Decatur. Free and open to the public. Breakfast served. Please bring your used cell phones to donate through HopeLine. RSVP by Oct. 8 to Community Prosecutor Sonja Brown, 404-371-2234, firstname.lastname@example.org. Presented by the DeKalb County Solicitor-General with support from Verizon Wireless.
- Jonesboro – “Face and Shades of Domestic Violence in the Faith Community”, 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m., Higher Living Christian Church. Presented by Sisters Empowerment Network and Southern Crescent Sexual Assault Center.
- Cornelia – 2012 Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, downtown Cornelia. Registration at 9:00 a.m., walk at 10:00 a.m. from the Post Office and ending at the historic train depot. Admission is free and open to the public. Presented by the Family Violence Task Force of the Mountain Judicial Circuit. For more information or to register, visit http://www.gacircleofhope.org/events_page.htm
- Douglasville – 4th Annual S.H.A.R.E. House Paws-an-Effect Dog Show, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., Deer Lick Park, 2105 Mack Road. Free admission. All event proceeds will benefit S.H.A.R.E. House. For more information, visit http://www.sharehousedouglas.org/Share_house_dog_show_flyer_2012.pdf
- Lithonia - Domestic Violence & Teen Dating Violence Awareness Rally & Panel Discussion, “United to Empower a Generation,” 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Stronghold Christian Church, 724 Rock Chapel Road. Presented by Stronghold Christian Church and From Pain to Purpose. Check out the promo video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YAQZ2P6tik&feature=share.
- Norcross - 5K Walk & 10K Run “Break the Silence/Save a Life – Running for a Cause,” 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., 182 Hunter Street (parking lot of Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church). Free health care screenings, mini-Zumba lessons and other fun activities for children and adults. Presented by HOPE at the Well (HATW). For more information or to register, visit http://runningforacause5k10kwalkrun.weebly.com/.
- Stone Mountain – E.P.I.C. 5k Walk, “Walking Into a New D.A.W.N.” Stone Mountain Park. Registration/Signup at 8:30 a.m., walk starts at 10 a.m. Registration $10. Bring a business suit to give to women in safe houses! Register at email@example.com
- Atlanta – 5th Annual International Dessert Night, 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Womble Carlyle. Tickets are $45 and may be purchased via PayPal on IWH’s Facebook page or by contacting Anna Blau at 770-413-5557. Proceeds benefit International Women’s House. For more information, visit https://www.facebook.com/events/313478608751373/
- Atlanta - The National Council of Negro Women, Spelman College Section, presents “Breaking the Silence: An Evening of Speaking Out Against Intimate Partner Violence,” 7:00 p.m., Spelman College, Cosby Auditorium. Featuring performances from Peace and Love AUC, Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance, Afrekete, Sister Fire, Sister Speak Up, Faces of Manhood, DIamon in the Rough, and the Spelman College Jazz Ensemble. Tickets: $1 pre-sale, $2 at the door. Proceeds will benefit the Georgia Coalition Against Domestic Violence. Click HERE for more information.
- Decatur – 21st Annual Candlelight Vigil, 7:00 p.m., Gazebo in Decatur Square. Presented by Women’s Resource Center to End Domestic Violence.
- Thomasville – 16th Annual Candlelight Vigil, St. Thomas Episcopal Church, Parish Hall. Silent march at 6:30 p.m., vigil at 7:00 p.m. Presented by Halcyon Home for Battered Women.
- Dalton – 6th Annual Domestic Violence Conference, 8:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., Dalton State College, Gignilliat Memorial Hall. Registration is $35. Presented by the Conasauga Family Violence Alliance. For registration information, go to http://dvconferencedsc.eventbrite.com/.
- Rome – 2012 Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, Heritage Park (across from Barron Stadium). Check-in at 11:00 a.m., walk begins at 12:00 p.m. For more information or to register, visit http://www.hospitality-house.org/walk%202012.htm
- Atlanta - “But I Love Him,” a domestic violence awareness play, Peachtree Professional Centre, 99 Peachtree St. SW. For more information, call Cassandra at 770-899-7424. Visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s-WVsMd-XQ&feature=youtu.be for a preview.
- Riverdale – 2nd Annual Walk A Mile in Her Shoes: Community 5K Walk/Run Against Domestic Violence, Riverdale Town Center, 7200 Church Street. Registration 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m., pre-rally festivities 8:00 a.m. to 8:20 a.m., 5K walk/run begins 8:30 a.m. For more information, to volunteer to help out, or to register, visit http://www.sistersempowerment.org/Walk-a-Mile-in-Her-Shoes.html
- Valdosta – Kids Fall Safety Festival, 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Saunder’s Park. Presented by The Haven Battered Women’s Shelter. For more information, visit http://valdostahaven.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Kids.pdf
- Marietta – Youth Track or Treat Fun Run, Marietta High School, 1171 Whitlock Avenue SW. Registration 1:45 p.m. to 2:15 p.m., warm up 2:15 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., run at 2:30 p.m. Benefits the YWCA of Northwest Georgia domestic violence shelter. For more information or to register, visit http://www.youthtrackortreat.com/
- Rome - Panel discussion, 12:00 p.m., Seven Hills Rotary Club, Coosa Country Club, 110 Branham Avenue. Advocates, therapists, and law enforcement will share perspectives on domestic and dating violence.
- Swainsboro - Screening of the documentary film “Sin by Silence,” 7:00 p.m., Franklin Memorial Library, 331 West Main Street. A ceremony to honor those who lost their lives due to domestic violence will follow the screening. Presented by The Refuge Domestic Violence Shelter. Watch the film trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naGlCwdvVx8&feature=share
- Atlanta – Silent No More Candlelight Vigil, 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce, 235 Andrew Young Boulevard Northwest. Featuring inspirational domestic violence survivor stories, live performance courtesy of Praise 102.5 FM, and a candlelight vigil in remembrance of victims in Georgia. Free and open to the public. Light refreshments served. Sponsored PADV, International Women’s House, Securus House, and GCADV. Please RSVP at http://padv.org/candlelight-vigil/
- Atlanta – “Walking Among Us, Today & Forever,” an event to honor and remember those who have passed and celebrate those who have survived. 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Latin America Association, 2750 Buford Highway.
- Marietta – Vigil, 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Grover Park, Historic Marietta Square. Presented by YWCA of Northwest Georgia, Cobb Judicial Circuit District Attorney’s Office, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Marietta-Roswell Alumnae Chapter, and the Solicitor General’s Office of Cobb County.
- Newnan – Vegas Nights, 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., Healthy Life Chiropractic, 2753 E. Hwy 34, Suite 1. Ages 21 and older. RSVP by calling Candy at 770-683-9454.
- Atlanta – Men Stopping Violence 30th Anniversary Awards Dinner, Four Seasons Hotel, 75 14th St. Reception at 6:30 p.m., dinner and program at 7:30 p.m. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit http://www.menstoppingviolence.org/men-stopping-violence-30th-anniversary-dinner
- Atlanta – 2012 Domestic Violence “Silent No More” Fundraiser Brunch, 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., Holiday Inn Atlanta Perimeter, 4386 Chamblee Dunwoody Road. Proceeds benefit the Beverly Cunningham Outreach Center. For more information, visit http://bcop.org/2012-domestic-violence-fundraiser-silent-no-more/
- Dahlonega – 2012 NOA Chili Cook-Off, Hancock Park. Cook setup 10:00 a.m., event 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. For more information, visit https://sites.google.com/site/noachilicookoff/
- Decatur - Eagles Soar Performing Arts Theatre presents the play “Church Folks!”, written by Zakiya H. Watford, 3:00 p.m., Porter Sanford Performing Arts and Community Center, 3181 Rainbow Drive. Tickets $20. A portion of ticket sales will go to benefit the Georgia Coalition Against Domestic Violence. For tickets, call 678-982-1999 or 404-687-2731, or visit http://espatheatre.com/events/.
- Savannah – 16th Annual Candlelight Vigil, Forsyth Park Band Shell. For more information, call (912) 651-0004.
- Rome - Hospitality House for Women’s Annual Meeting, 6:00 p.m., St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, Daniel Hall, downtown Rome. Refreshments will be served. Interested community members welcome.